Sunday, May 22, 2016

Wanting Life to Mean Something

How do you know if your life really means anything?  Or you're really making an impact on the ones you love and the people around you?

I feel like I do.  But how do you know?  Is it by how people return the gestures and favors you've done over the years?  Is it how well behaved your kids are or how your relationship is with said kids.

I sit behind a desk every day between 9 - 5 with an ungrateful and very annoying coworker.  I'm not out hitting the trails with my family or alone, I'm not paddling some serene lake or photographing the wonders of nature.  But I sit, work and wait.  Yes, I hate it.  Who doesn't?  You cannot love going to work every day and muddling through until you get home to do more work, dishes, scoop the puppy poop or laundry.

Yes, my life means something, my kids and wife make it that way.  But that's in general, it's not something down to earth meaningful as in I'm not out fulfilling my life's desires.

Ironically, when I was a young adult, my dreams were to have a family and kids so I guess in a sense I am adding meaning to my life.  But then as I became more of an adult and more stuck in the rut of life, YouTube doesn't help, I am now set on a new desire, a new added meaning to life.  To get out there and explore, see the world starting with whats around me and what's in our country.  I could go to a national park every year and probably never get to see them all in my life.  And I've been to three or four already.  It's a dam shame.  The only thing to do is plan and do.

How do you keep meaning in your life?  Or does it change from one year to the next?

No comments:

Post a Comment