Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Getting the itch.......in a good way.

It's Fall and the best time of year, around here anyway, to do any kind of backpacking and camping.  Sure it's a touch cold on some nights, more importantly the mornings, but it's worth it.  The lack of crowds and bugs, it makes it more doable.

However, since I only have one trip set to happen for sure (annual brothers camping trip), there aren't more in the immediate future.  So I have to look forward.  My son wants to go to Maine again to see the place with the trampoline in the water, I don't blame him because it was a neat place to see, but there are so many other places, how do you repeat once place in lieu of trying another place that might be even more amazing?  That's a question my wife and I have time to decide about.

That thought brings up the thought of all the other places we'll never get to see or explore.  That is depressing!  I sit in this chair at my desk, trying to figure out a way to get to these new places but unless the lotto comes through, there's no way for me to get to do that without disowning my family and being poor.  Not something I want to do.  I guess the only solution is to do as much as you can, whenever you can and for as long as you can.  You can only do what you can do, right?

Sometimes I'm fine with that thinking and other times I hate the very thought of it.

In the next few years I hope to put several miles on my tired of sitting at my desk sore legs.  I love being in the woods.  I love being up on an exposed rock top, wind blowing by my ears, the sun sneaking through the cold and the wind.  It's an extraordinary feeling, once I miss almost every day.

So with the new job comes a new search for where the next year will take our family on the road, although local places are great, they're just that, local and mostly easy to access.  We can do them any time.

Here's to planning your adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment