Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Olympic National Park Adventure!

My wife and I made plans months ago to get to Olympic National Park for my 40th and sort of anniversary trip.  So we planned, researched and did it!  It was amazing!

We flew nonstop, 6 hours, from Newark to Sea-Tac and then drove for two hours to our first destination, Seal Rock Campground.  I highly recommend it, beautiful place, I saw a Bald Eagle, not 6 feet from my face, harbor seal 10 feet away and a whale surfacing some distance away.  Unfortunately I didn't have my camera or phone and my wife wasn't there to witness it, memories will have to do.  We had a beautiful night's stay and after some beach exploring in the morning and talking with the caretaker, we were off.

Next stop was Port Angeles, you could see Canada on the other side of the harbor and we explored the town a little.  It was immediately colder with the winds off the harbor and being exposed to the water.  Beautiful landscape to say the least.  The town was a little run down in spots, but I'm assuming the job situation up there isn't the greatest which would explain it.

Off to Hurricane ridge in ONP and our second night's stay.  Our plan was to backpack down to Moose Lake, a 4.2 mile trip down the trail was extremely hard, rewarding and enjoyable.  Switchbacks are not my friend and we eventually got there.  Amazing campsite, right on the pond, overlooking it.  Flat calm with fish jumping at every fly they thought they could catch.  The water was a deep turquoise and filled with fallen logs.  A nearby group of young adults tried their luck at skinny dipping the frigid pond, which didn't last long.  My wife unknowingly surprised the guy getting out who was excitedly shaking what he got, he wasn't embarrassed (good for him knowing the temp of the water).  It made for a funny story and sight.

We were in bed early and up early.  Much to my surprise the stars weren't anything to write home about, they were beautiful, but not as much so as other places we've been.  The morning was cool and gray, the sun was trying to peak out and eventually it did, just in time for us to be packed up and head out.  The group of skinny dippers were out early, by 7:30.  We came back the way we got there, all uphill with the same terrible switchbacks to keep us entertained.  The views were just as spectacular as they were the day before, if not more so.

We made it back to the car, stretched and drove to the visitors center for some lunch.  We hobbled in like a pair of old fogies and ordered too much food.  It was pretty good for being 5000 feet in the mountains.  After eating, we headed back down the mountain to several other stops, or so we thought.  We ended up (I ended up) getting a hotel room, I couldn't take it anymore, I was done driving, wanted a clean shower and comfy bed.  We got the last room in the town of Forks, from the Twilight movie fame.  Nothing like what they show in the movie BTW, but we ended up having dinner and drinks at the local bar/airport which turned out way better than I think either of us expected.

The next morning we headed down the road to Rialto Beach and Ruby Beach, Sul Duc Falls and the Hoh Rain Forest.  We had to rush through most of them, but we spent plenty of time at the beaches.  They were amazing.  We could have spent more time there, but just didn't have enough time to spare.

We did as much as we could do, including a trip to REI's Flagship store in Seattle, which was impressive to say the least.  Tried to find a place to eat but the downtown was crazy and there wasn't anywhere to stop and park.  So we headed to the airport, returned the rental car and found there were no restaurants open there either but the fast food joints.  We somehow got upgraded to first class, which is huge for me and my knees.  I actually slept on the plane, something that never happens.  Four hours later we were in Chicago for a two hour layover.  Some McD's breakfast and off to Newark for the completion of our trip.

All in all one of the best places I've ever been.  Our campsite couldn't have been beaten.  The hike was amazing.  We're hoping to get back to do the beach backpacking trip and maybe the drive down the coast to CA.  But that's down the road.  I'm glad we're home but ready for more outdoors time.

No comments:

Post a Comment