Sunday, January 3, 2021

First Solo Overnight trip on the AT and a Wintery Weather Advisory

 I've been wanting to get out of the house and go backpacking since the failed overnight trip we took with the kids where the bear decided to ruin our dinner party.  I love camping in the Winter, the fire's more enjoyable, the skies are clearer, no bugs and less people... in this case, no people.

Last night was the last night where I could do something with my kids in the woods, or apparently myself, during the extended holiday break.  We spent the day doing two small day hikes, which wetted the appetite for more.  The weather was nice and the trails were muddy but we got out and enjoyed ourselves.  Well I wanted to see if my son, 11, wanted to go but it was getting dark and I wasn't going to get to where I wanted to go until well past 10 and he just wasn't up for it.  I decided, I'm just going to go.  My youngest daughter didn't want me to go alone.  She's not much of a camper and as I was heading out the door she was grabbing her coat and when I asked her what she was doing, she merely stated that I'm took old to go alone and she's going with me.  I assured her I'd be fine and that she couldn't go because I hadn't packed anything for her and it was late.  With tears in her eyes I assured her I'd be fine and off I went. 










It's one night, I'm an adult dammit and not scared of shadows in the woods!  An adult maybe but still scared...  

My first choice was going to be the Rausch Gap shelter on the Appalachian Trail but after getting close to the trailhead, the road took me through a military training area that I wasn't even sure I was supposed to be and then the road went to dirt and became steep.  I decided with the Winter Weather Advisory, that I wasn't aware of until I was on the road, that it wasn't going to be a good idea to try that road in any kind of weather.  So I went to plan B... and then C... and then finally decided that it was going to be plan D that was going to do the trick. 

I was already in the area and Peter's Mountain Shelter was nearby, a short walk in, a familiar place and somewhere I could drive out of if there was any kind of weather that amounted to much.  Arriving at the trailhead at 11, not exactly what I wanted to do, I packed up, took a breath and headed into the dark.  The trail, as many in PA do, went mostly straight up the side of the ridge.  The trail crew did an amazing job of building rock stairs for most of the trail.  This side trail was named, Victoria Trail, and was very nice.  With a bright flashlight in tow I plowed on.  With every step I got more and more comfortable with my decision.  I really was looking forward to getting to the shelter.  It's a very nice respite from the weather and a little piece of security.  With in an hour and a half I was there.

I'm not s little guy and was sweating even in the 20's.  Got into my bedtime dry clothes, set up my sleeping bag and tried to get to sleep.  I was still a bit jazzed up from the hike in so sleep wasn't right away on tap, but it came with time.  I was very cozy in my Big Agnes sleeping bag and Sea to Summit Winter pad.  There was no wind so it was very still.  I think I eventually drifted off around 2:30 and was in and out until 8:30 where I found the comfy spot and was out for an hour. 

Reluctantly I got out of the cocoon of a warm sleeping bag and made some breakfast.  Dehydrated Mountain House eggs never tasted so good or felt so good going down.  I took some photos, packed up and started to head out.  We had some stray blasts of ice pellets over the early morning hours so there was some traces of Winter but nothing exciting.  I was walking into a fog as the temps were raising a little.  The rain started intermittently on my way down to the car.  Nothing I needed rain gear for but enough to keep it interesting.  So different going down a trail and actually being able to see where you're going then being in the dark the night before.

Back to the car 20 minutes faster than the way up, which isn't a surprise.  I only slipped once, thought for sure that I was going to throw my back out but it was still good.  The car is always a nice sight to behold, especially when the weather is turning.  It's also a downturn as the main portion of the trip is over.  But I now know I can do it.  I've done it, without issue.  So the next time I want to get out, I can without worrying who will join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment