Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Brief Overnight Camping Trip

Well it's not officially winter yet, but I needed a night in the woods like no ones business.  After a week of being super busy, scheduling jobs left and right, keeping on top of home stuff and the kids, I needed a cold night in the woods.

A week earlier I called my brother who's always up for a camping trip.  Turned out that a few wrenches were thrown into my plans and I didn't think I was going to be able to go.  So I cancelled the trip.  Then, by the camping gods grace, I ended my tasks early on Saturday and made the call to meet up and go camping.  Him being his normal hesitant self, couldn't decide on whether or not he wanted to bother with the trouble of packing for one night's worth of camping.  But in the end, he caved and he met me at our usual car pooling location and we headed north, then west to get to one of the trails heading to the Pinnacle on the Appalachian Trail.

This was also my new dog's first trip in the woods.  Puppies being what they are have endless energy and she's no different.  My brother's dog and her were happy leading the way, through the cool dark evening through the woods.  My brother assured me that there was a great campsite located just up the trail.  He accused me of not believing him that he had the perfect spot located just ahead and endlessly threw it in my face when we got close to the site.

The site was located between two nicely flowing streams on either side, the chores of setting up the camp, collecting and starting a fire and making sure the dogs didn't wander off too far.  In no time we had a roaring fire, the tent was setup and my brother started on his dinner routine.  I had already eaten on the road so I didn't need anything.

I had wrapped up the puppy in a sleeping bag and blanket while we hung around the campfire.  The dogs were pretty tired from the hike but more importantly they were happy to be warm.

I was ready for bed from the minute I dropped the pack but my brother wasn't so we hung around and enjoyed the fire and after we burned the firewood for the night, we were off to bed.  I slept like I've never slept in the woods before, like a rock.  Warm and cozy buried deep in my sleeping bag.  The puppy was wrapped up in her bag huddled next to my brother's dog.

The morning came, I had responsibilities that I needed to get to a little later in the morning, so we had a small morning fire, packed up and out in recorded breaking time for us.  Made great time back to the trailhead, only to find a ticket on my truck.  Unreal.  We then got on the road and made great time back to the park and ride.  Then I was early to my appointment and everything went well.

I'm ready for the next trip but I'm not sure when that's coming.  It seems like I could be happy doing a trip every other weekend.  The feeling of being in the woods is such an enjoyable and relaxing time, it's like a drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment