Thursday, December 7, 2017

We rented a Tear Drop Trailer!

I've been looking into renting a Tear Drop trailer for quite some time now.  But never thought to justify it due to the cost and I'm a tent camper at heart.  Well since it's late in the camping season and the temps are getting cooler and the prices to rent the trailer were cut in half, we picked a weekend and went.

It was very awkward from the beginning due to poor communication with the owner of the trailer rental place.  Since it's off season they have limited hours and are hard to get a hold of over the phone.  We didn't know for sure we were going until the morning of our trip.  I had gotten out a bunch of camping stuff, in the event the trailer wasn't big enough for all four of us.  Also I got out some cooking stuff, but in true form, I didn't lay everything out as to what I actually needed and was going to use.  That will come back to bite me in the but at some point in the story.

I picked it up, brought it home, threw everything in it, the kids in the car and we were off.  Our first stop is Hickory Run SP in Pennsylvania.  We got there in the dark, searched for the entrance (which was passed twice) and picked a spot.  Enjoyed a nice fire, some good dinner and the kids watched the movies we brought in the warmth of the trailer.

We took three dogs, another no no for those wondering.  I can only trust one of them off leash, the other two would go explore in a second if given the chance, that point was proven on an early, cold, Sunday morning.  The dogs mostly stayed in the car, while the puppy camped in the trailer with us.  She's small and doesn't take up much space, not to mention she'd not be happy to be away from us and would probably cry most of the night.

It turned out that condensation was also an issue in the trailer, never opened the vent until the morning on night one.  Even with the vent opened on night two it didn't do much better.  We took turns being comfortable.  Night number one the kids slept up against me and therefor my wife was on the more comfy side.  Night number two the kids slept up against her and I was more comfortable.  I honestly think that it wasn't really a king size bed, we fit with four kids in a queen the same way that we fit in the "king" size trailer.  However, it was pretty comfortable all things considered.  I had planned to sleep in the tent, while my wife and the kids slept in the trailer (even brought all the crap), but never did it and wish I had.  It'd be perfect for two people, which, ironically, is what it was designed for.

My favorite part of it was the kitchen area with the fridge.  Although there was limited storage and if I ever built one, I'd build it differently, it certainly was nice to have a countertop, stove and a fridge to prepare stuff.  I didn't need to lug along a two-burner camp stove and small propane bottles, everything was already there and attached.  We only prepared hot water, eggs and sausage but it was very nice to have.  I can image that in warmer months when hooked to a full service electric and water, it would be a complete pleasure to have the luxury of a microwave, sink and a/c.

I honestly don't know if I'd do it again.  The kids loved it but they mainly loved it for the novelty and the fact that it had a TV.  I'm glad I tried it and if it was just my wife and I, with the chance of raining (and funds allowed) I think we might contemplate it again.  For now, I'll stick with my 6 person tent.  The best parts of the trailer turned out to be the kitchen and the ability to throw everything we didn't want in the car in the trailer and be on our way.  I loved the night lighting around the kitchen and the trailer, makes for a very nice evening when wanting to have some comforts without a headlamp.


No comments:

Post a Comment